At Chris King we actively encourage our employees to commute to work by bicycle. We know that the weather in Portland can be discouraging and we have built a system to inspire our riders to commute year around through the bright summer and wet cold winter.
Employees utilize a credit systems that allows them to earn cafe credits towards food purchases in the renowned Chris King Café. In 2014 Chris King paid out $39,053 to employees in the form of cafe credits. That means Chris King employees commuted 25,855 times with an average of 186 commutes per employee over the last year.
We crunched the numbers and discovered that our employees commute to work over 70% of the time by bicycle.
In addition to our café credit system, employees have the opportunity to earn paid time off by commuting during the months of May and September. For each of our challenge months, our employees are supported with paid time off rewards.
- 20 hours of PTO for riders commuting 100% of trips.
- 15 hours of PTO for riders commuting 75% of trips.
- 10 hours of PTO for riders commuting 50% of trips.
That means riders commuting during 100% of their work days during both months will receive 40 hours of paid time off in addition to their allotted vacation time.
Since 2005 Chris King has rewarded employees with over 1,000 days worth of paid time off.
To support our riding employees we built a system to readily support their efforts.
- Secure, indoor parking for every employee as well as a dedicated entry way for bikes.
- Contemporary locker room facilities for men and women with private shower stalls and changing areas.
- Lockers for every employee. Salvaged from an older building & reconfigured with a custom ventilation system.
- Loaner bicycles, locks and lights available for checkout by any employee.
- Route mapping advice and instruction from our commuting coordinator.
- One-on-one meetings with all new hires to discuss transportation options and commuting strategies.